[mapserver-users] Error configuring WMS app : Projection library error. Invalid argument...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jan 5 10:03:10 EST 2010

stela anders wrote:
>         LAYER
>         NAME Argentina
>         METADATA
>             "wms_title"    "Argentina"   ##required
>         END
>         TYPE POLYGON
>         STATUS ON
>         INCLUDE "Connection.map"
>         DATA "the_geom from tbl_argentina USING UNIQUE gid USING SRID=0"
>         PROJECTION
>             "proj=longlat"
>             "ellps=WGS84"
>             "datum=WGS84"
>             "no_defs"
>         END
>
>         CLASS
>             COLOR 255 200 255
>         END
>         END
>
> END
>
> When I try to open that with my OpenLayer app, I got images with that
> error :
>
> Error: msProcessProjection(): /Projection library error/. /Invalid argument

Stella,

I am not sure why you are getting this error.  I search high and low and can't
find "Invalid argument" in either MapServer or PROJ.4.  Are you working on
linux or Windows?  Were the "/" characters really in this message?  It is
hard for me to understand how this could happen.

With regard to your mapfile, I was surprised that you don't have
wms_srs metadata on your layer.  It is a shot in the dark, but perhaps you
could add wms_srs EPSG:4326 metadata on the layer, and reorder the wms_srs
metadata on the map to put EPSG:4326 first.

Also, you could try changing:

 >         PROJECTION
 >             "proj=longlat"
 >             "ellps=WGS84"
 >             "datum=WGS84"
 >             "no_defs"
 >         END

to:

PROJECTION
   "+init=epsg:4326"
END

in both the layer and map.  This is slower to expand but it might
make it easier for mapserver to relate to epsg codes.

Best regards,