[mapserver-users] MS-5.2.3 performance on Solaris 10 vs Win XP

Andy Colson andy at squeakycode.net
Wed Jul 21 09:42:54 EDT 2010

On 7/21/2010 8:04 AM, Eike Pögel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> my Solaris 10 mapserver is approx 20 times slower than the ready-made
> MS4W installation of same version (using same shape files). Would like
> to hear, if other users have same/different experiences.
>
> BTW: To build this Solaris MS I used a couple of prebuild libs from
> sunfreeware.com (gcc-3.4.6, zlib, proj-4.7.0, etc.). My Solaris build
> configuration was:
>
> ./configure --without-httpd --with-png --with-gd --with-proj --with-wfs
> --with-wcs --with-ogr=../gdal-1.7.2/apps/gdal-config
> --with-gdal=../gdal-1.7.2/apps/gdal-config --with-fastcgi=yes
> --enable-internal-ld-detect
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated very much. TIA.
>
> --
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
>
> i.A. Eike Pögel

I doubt you are running Solaris and Windows on the exact same hardware.
  My first guess would be hardware speeds?  Maybe you could bench the IO
and CPU and compare them.  You could also enable debugging in your
mapfile, and I believe it'll include timing information.  May help point
you in a direction.

-Andy