[mapserver-users] Interactive display of map polygons & attributes (flash, svg, ...)

Lime, Steve D (DNR) Steve.Lime at state.mn.us
Tue Jul 27 11:02:32 EDT 2010

There are lots of ways to approach a problem like this, but how you'd approach it depends on your requirements, especially in terms of responsiveness and number of users. A lot of the apps I've seen like this basically use pre-rendered data (map and reports) and really are nothing more than an image map. In fact, you could do something like this with a straight image map. If you don't need to support pan/zoom that would be an easy way to go.

OpenLayers has much of this covered already, but again it depends on the exact requirements. For example, OL has a hover or pause control that you can use to trigger queries (e.g. GetInfo, feature server or straight MapServer) against a layer and then you could use AJAX to update the report/graph area. This can work well but isn't as responsive since the client doesn't know what feature it's over, it has to ask a server process. OL has vector display capabilities that you can tie events too as well for more responsiveness. Which makes the most sense depends on the type and volume of data...

In any case MapServer's role is that of a data producer, either in batch ahead of time or in real-time.

Steve