[mapserver-users] Raster data performance

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Jul 28 10:49:36 EDT 2010

Fawcett, David (MPCA) wrote:
> I don’t know anything about your work flow, but if possible, you could
> add a pre-processing step where you use a script to read your text file
> and pre-classify the data.  You would end up with integers representing
> each class as ‘cell’ values.
>

> Instead of :
>
> EXPRESSION([pixel] >= -4 AND [pixel] < -3)
>

> You could have: EXPRESSION “2”

This is the fastest one.

> Or
>
> EXPRESSION /2/

Be careful with this because the // mean you are doing a regular
expression evaluation which is slower. and you need to be more precise
in the expression:

/2/ match a "2" anywhere in the string so would match any of the follow
where "?" is a wildcard:
"2"
"2?"
"?2"
"2??"
"?2?"
"??2"

If you want to match exactly "2" with a regex then you would need /^2$/

Complex expressions are compiled into structures that have to be
evaluated for each [pixel] so the more pixels you have the more
computation you have and the more complex the expression the more
computation that is involved.

-Steve W