[mapserver-users] Security issues dealing with mapserver instances

Manuel Aymerich maymerich at argongra.es
Thu Jul 29 02:35:29 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I am sure
many of you have dealt with this problem at one time or another.

I am working with openlayers together with Mapserver CGI (caching with
tilecache). I am configuring a public site and I was wondering about the
serious security issues dealing with mapserver instances. I am assuming that
if too many users try to reach my website to view one of my maps
concurrently, or even if a malicious user finds the way too make too many
mapserver requests, my Apache server may eventually collapse. Is there a way
to limit the number of mapserver child threads created by my server without
disturbing in the overall server performance? Is there a way to bound the
maximum number of mapserver instances my server can handle? Or even more, is
there a way to deny service to users which overload the system? Any help
within this topic will be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Manu

maymerich at argongra.es

labs.argongra.com