[mapserver-users] OSM2pgsql, latlong, OpenStreetMap data, uDig = weird projection

Mulone mulone at rome.com
Mon Mar 15 08:44:52 EDT 2010

Hi guys,

I have an issue trying to import OSM data on PostGIS.
I download an xml file from the CloudMade site.
I use this script to import the file into postgis (on Windows, latlong
projection):

./osm2pgsql -U userId -W -H myhost -d maps -p myprefix -S default.style -c
-l data.osm.bz2

This works, but when I visualise the spatial data on uDIG (default
projection: WGS84) proportions are wrong. The vertical axis is much shorter
than it is on regular online maps (e.g. openstreetmap.org, google maps,
etc), like here: http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8279/imagelw.png

So I read somewhere that the OSM data is stored in mercator, and I tried to
run the same script with -m option:

./osm2pgsql -U userId -W -H myhost -d maps -p myprefix -S default.style -c
-m data.osm.bz2

The command works but then I can't visualise any data in uDig.
How can I load OSM data with the right SRS and then project it properly?

Cheers,
Mulone

-----
Mulone