[mapserver-users] PNG symbol transparency supported in map MODE?

Manuel Aymerich maymerich at argongra.es
Fri Nov 12 04:08:27 EST 2010

Hi,

I am working with mapserver to provide a wms service in which users can
select a map area and get a pdf print as an output. On one my vector layers,
I've inserted some new png symbols with an alpha channel. Everything works
great in the WMS mode, transparency for those symbols is supported.
However, when the users wants to get the pdf of an area,  I make a mapserver
CGI call in MODE=MAP to retrieve the map area as a single image an construct
the pdf output on the fly. In this MODE=MAP case, transparency for those
symbols is not supported.

Here is a visual example of the problem I am facing, so that you can all
judge it  yourselves:

+ WMS mode (transparency for <http://labs.argongra.com/demo/WMSmode.png>
symbols supported).

+ Map mode (symbols <http://labs.argongra.com/demo/MAPmode.png>
transparency).

It seems that when mapserver merges all layers into one in map mode to
obtain a single output image, symbol features are rendered without
transparency support.

At the layer level I've set  << OPACITY alpha >>, but the problem persists.
Any clue of want I might be missing? Is this a mapserver bug?

Any help or hint will be appreciated. Thanks in advanced, regards,

Manuel Aymerich