[mapserver-users] mapserver and i18n

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Oct 6 10:53:13 EDT 2010

On 10-10-06 11:46 AM, teeschke wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> does anybody managed the internationalization with UMN?
> Currently we have the racy idea to provide one mapfile for each language.
> The differences are clear:
> - title of the map
> - title of the layers
> - name of the classes.
> - every gml_SOMEATTRIBUTE_alias
>
> CartoMap seems to support i18n with complex configuration, but i never tried
> this out.
> http://www.cartoweb.org/doc/cw3.5/xhtml/user.layers.html
> http://www.cartoweb.org/doc/cw3.5/xhtml/intro.archi.html

Hello Daniel,

Yes, in fact last month I revived the old documentation for the website
(http://www.mapserver.org/mapfile/labelencoding.html) and successfully
tested MapServer 5.6 with Japanese and Arabic characters - see my
examples in that document.

If you would like additions to that document, please file a new ticket
in the MapServer issue tracker (http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/) under
the "MapServer Documentation" component.

Or if you feel like sharing your own examples with everyone, please
create a wiki page at the bottom of http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ and
place your mapfiles and instructions there.

Thanks!

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna