[mapserver-users] Re: mapserver and i18n

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Oct 6 20:05:59 EDT 2010

On 10/6/2010 7:23 PM, Michael Smith wrote:
> I would do this on the backend. Pass a language variable to your data
> query
>
> DATA "geom from data where lang='%lang%'" LABELITEM "%LANG%HIGHWAY"
>
> And have one mapfile and just have your translations in
> PostGis/Oracle/etc.
>
> Mike

Yeah, that is what I have done but that requires the client to handle
the management of the language selection and as Bart is pointing out the
language selection should be handled on the server.

Here is an example where you can select English, Arabic or French for
the language of the Instructions.

http://gis.imaptools.com/routing/leaddog/?zoom=10&lat=33.865&lon=35.52263&layers=B0TTTF&start=35.484217%2033.830394&stop=35.627718%2033.92659&method=STS&lang=arb

It obviously needs more work to translate the whole page but my job was
to just deal with the instructions part of this.

-Steve