[mapserver-users] Really New User Issue

Tim Rood trood3 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 24 00:19:35 EDT 2010

Hello,

For context, I assume I have the latest MapServer version, downloaded
October 3.

Also, I'm pretty familiar with desktop GIS, but unschooled with web and map
server use.

Installation and first tutorial section went well.

Got to Example 2-1:  Example
<http://demo.mapserver.org/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/osgeo/mapserver/tutorial/htd
ocs/example2.map&layer=states&zoom=0&mode=browse&root=/tutorial&program=/cgi
-bin/mapserv&map_web=template+example2-1.html>  2.1 - Pan and Zoom Controls
(teaches click on map to pan, etc.) and pan/zoom page opens with map. OK.

But here's the problem:

the mapfile, (name: Example2.map. "type: map_auto_file" [new type to me])
from demo.mapfile.org

wants to be opened or saved every time I click on the map to pan.

I expected the link above to run the local mapfile---and not open it either.

I don't understand the behavior I'm seeing.  What basic point am I missing?

Thanks,

Tim