[mapserver-users] thread safety and php and fastcgi

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Sep 2 09:53:05 EDT 2010

Bringing back this question from a different angle...

So, we know that PHP MapScript has some thread safety issues when used with PHP as a DSO module.  In my limited understanding of how it works, a DSO module is loaded into memory when Apache starts, ready to accept multiple different requests, and this permanent state is where the thread safety issues come from.

So, what about mapserv fastcgi?  Isn't this also loaded once, and processes multiple requests?

What about PHP as a fastcgi?  If it's the mapserver-PHP code that has the thread safety problem, would PHP as a fastcgi have similar problems as PHP-DSO?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled with hyena offal?
Second Pogril: I don't know.  Why IS life like sticking your head in a bucket filled with hyena offal?
First Pogril: I don't know either.  Wretched, isn't it?

-HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy