[mapserver-users] RE: Dynamically draw different sized ellipses on map

stoli rstoyle at COMCAST.NET
Wed Sep 8 12:10:31 EDT 2010

Thanks David.

Those are excellent references. I hadn't seen Matt Perry's site before. The
Tissot Indicatrix certainly shows the distortion that I need to deal with
due to map projection. I think I can work out the geometry of the ellipses.

Assuming that the application needs to be capable of rendering up to 100 of
these ellipses at varying locations at any given time, would you say the
most efficient way to do this is to program the app to dynamically build a
shape file and add it as a map layer each time a user requests the page, or
create them as symbols (in which case I think I would need a different layer
for each ellipse). I suppose I might run into URL length limits with the
latter. Is there another possibility that I am missing?