[mapserver-users] RE: Dynamically draw different sized ellipses on map

stoli rstoyle at COMCAST.NET
Thu Sep 9 10:26:03 EDT 2010

To better understand what I am doing, consider this as an example (perhaps
not very realistic, but close enough):

Let’s assume you have a site that allows the user to analyze cell phone
coverage. Your database has the location of all the towers. Each tower
contains various antenna types, each antenna type with a different range.
Occasionally, new towers are added to the database, old towers are removed,
and antenna types are changed. The user selects the antenna type, submits
the request to the server, and the server generates the ellipses that
represent each antenna’s coverage. Those ellipses are overlaid on the map
and the image is returned to the user.

The map image processing is all done server side via cgi requests. Sounds
like the best way to do this might be to write out a unique shapefile for
each user session. Certain user inputs (like a change in antenna type) will
require their shapefile to be updated (rewritten), while other inputs (like
zooming, panning, etc.)  will not.

Thanks again. If anyone knows of a better way to accomplish this, I'm all
ears.