[mapserver-users] tutorial assistance

martin crook crookgeo at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 09:26:24 EDT 2011

I have recently installed mapserver and I get the appropriate message by
using the following command:

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv

I saved the Example1-1.map file to my Apache html directory:

/var/www/html/mapserver/
Example1-1.map

all my data for the tutorial is in:

/var/www/html/mapserver/data

within the mapfile, I modified the path to:

SHAPEPATH      "/var/www/html/mapserver/data"

when I use the command in the browswer:

"
http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv&map=/var/www/html/mapserver/Example1-1.map&layer=states&mode=map
"

I get the following output:
"Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL
manually please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the
webmaster<root at localhost>.

Error 404 localhost
Apache/2.2.14 (Mandriva Linux/PREFORK-1.5mdv2010.0)"

I have tried many alternate locations and paths to troubleshoot, but cannot
make any of them work.  I suspect a permission issue, but am unsure.  Please
help.
Thanks in advance.
-Marty