[mapserver-users] MS 6.0 beta6 and faulty image/png; mode=8bit output if source image has overviews

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 04:51:08 EDT 2011

ok, I see where the issue is arising from: in 5.x you were using gd's
quantization algorithm, which to put it frankly, sucked badly (i.e.
note the duplicate entries in the color table which are a waste of
quality).
the current quantization algorithm is much higher quality, and thus
produces heavier images. If you want to return to something like GD,
try lowering the number of colors , e.g. QUANTIZE_COLORS=64 . Although
I'm not sure if by doing that the zlib compression will be able to
squeeze the final size down. As before, please post back your findings
if you try!

--
thomas