[mapserver-users] Mapserver6 calls exit() in FastCGI-mode

Erik Gustafson gustafson.erik at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 03:59:22 EDT 2011

Hello list,

when Mapserver 5 got a WMS request like this:
mapserv?request=getcapabilities&map=mymap.map

it responded with an wms_exception saying that the SERVICE parameter
was missing.

Mapserver 6 can not decide if the request if for a wms service or
another ows service and responds with:
mapserv(): Web application error. Traditional BROWSE mode requires a
TEMPLATE in the WEB section, but none was provided.

The problem is that the error from Mapserver 6, apart from its user
unfriendlyness for ows-requests, is reported by writeError() in
mapserv.c which calls exit() even if we are running under FastCGI. As
this error is non fatal I consider this a bug.

Less important:
I also think mapserver could be a bit more helpful. An error message like:
Traditional BROWSE mode requires a TEMPLATE in the WEB section, but
none was provided. For OWS-requests the SERVICE-parameter is needed.

Or maybe msOWSDispatch could check for all known requests (getmap,
getcapabilities, etc) and return an exception instead of returning
MS_DONE to mapserv.c

--
Erik Gustafson