[mapserver-users] Mapserver6 calls exit() in FastCGI-mode

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 20 10:56:43 EDT 2011

On 11-04-20 03:59 AM, Erik Gustafson wrote:
> The problem is that the error from Mapserver 6, apart from its user
> unfriendlyness for ows-requests, is reported by writeError() in
> mapserv.c which calls exit() even if we are running under FastCGI. As
> this error is non fatal I consider this a bug.

Erik,

For reference, I do *not* consider this a bug.  In my opinion it is
perfectly acceptable for MapServer processes to terminated sometimes on
an error even when running in FastCGI mode.  Reasonable FastCGI
implementations will just start a new process for the next request so
the only harm is a slight delay as libraries are reinitialized and
DB connections are re-established.

The error you are encountering is not something that will happen often
in practice.

In fact, I believe it is a good practice to have MapServer FastCGI
instances recycled occasionally as it is hard to ensure there are
no memory leaks in the more esoteric parts of the code.

Best regards,