[mapserver-users] character encoding shape file with german umlaute

karsten vennemann karsten at terragis.net
Thu Apr 28 03:55:26 EDT 2011

Hi List,

I had some trouble with getting correct character encoding to work with MapServer and with german Umlauten (ÄÜÖ and ß).
For a PostGIS layer I got it fixed setting the permanent variable 'client encoding'  to LATIN1 does the trick ;) The db otherwise is utf8 , the system german locale (which has impact really anyway for he most part).

However I have now trouble also with labels from a shape file based MapServer WMS which show screwed up as some symbols . The attributes are showing correctly inside the dbf table. The same layers just 'worked' on the old server - however something must be different on the new one since that is just came up with the move. Is there anything I can look for to coax MapServer to correctly encode label test annotations  ?
I tried setting
   ENCODING 'LATIN1'
in the label to no avail ..

Cheers