[mapserver-users] Some issues with SLD and MapServer 6.0.0 Beta RC1

Yewondwossen Assefa yassefa at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Apr 28 15:10:52 EDT 2011

On 28/04/2011 9:34 AM, Arnd Wippermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in map styling with SLD and have tested it locally with
> MapServer 6.0.0 Beta RC1 windows binaries from www.gisinternals.com.
>
> I have created an online application to play with SLD and the different
> MapServer versions.
> http://gis.ibbeck.de/ginfo/apps/OLExamples/OL210/MapServer_SLD_World/MapServ
> er_SLD_World.asp
>
> There the below issues can be seen. For the online application I have only
> 6.0.0 Beta 7 available, but it is the same with RC1.
>
> Most things work great and create a good looking output.
>
> But some things doesn't work as expected.
>
> 1.
> It seems, that the output directory for debug is set static to
> C:\Windows\Temp.
> msApplySLD(): Map file after SLD was applied
> C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\4db963c5_ab0_1._sld.map
> IMGPATH or IMGURL is not take in account.

Temporary files are now written into the tmp directory location. It
depends on the platform but should respect the environment variables set
on your platform regarding temporary paths. It is not hardcoded in
Mapserver.  Ticket http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/3354 has notes
on this.

> 2. fill external symbol
> Polygon fill with external graphic is erratic. If I zoom in one level i get
> one tile (South America).
> It creates a file
> "http%3A%2F%2Fgis.ibbeck.de%2FOLClient%2FSLD%2Fsmileyface.png" in
> C:\Windows\Temp.
>
> 3. Continent, Continent_Else
> Filter PropertyIsLike doesn't work. With 5.6.1 it is ok.
> Expression from generated mapfile : EXPRESSION ("[Continent]" =~ /^Africa/)
>
> 4. or_like_abcdef
> Filter Or and PropertyIsLike doesn't work. With 5.6.1 only the last entry of
> PropertyIsLike are taken.
> With Or and PropertyIsEqualTo all entries are taken in both versions.
> Expression from generated mapfile (6 beta): EXPRESSION ( ("[country]" =~
> /^A/) Or  ( ("[country]" =~ /^B/) Or  ( ("[country]" =~ /^C/) Or  (
> ("[country]" =~ /^D/) Or  ( ("[country]" =~ /^E/) Or  ("[country]" =~ /^F/))
> ) ) ) )
>
> msEvalExpression: Expression parser error. Failed to parse expression:
> ("[country]" =~ /^A/) Or ...
>
> With changing =* to ~* and / to " the mapfile works :
> EXPRESSION ( ("[country]" ~* "^A") Or  ( ("[country]" ~* "^B") Or ...
>
> It seems, that in the generated mapfile is a wrong expression.
>
> 5. symbol fill rotated
> Polygon fill with rotated square looks interesting, but not as expected. Try
> with 5.6.1.
>
> 6. fill solid
> Polygon with solid fill without stroke shows thin lines of the borders.
>
> Some other issues are likely not supported by MapServer, but would be nice
> to have them.
>
> A.
> Changing the hatch width with sld. see "group3, hatch" as it is possible
> with mapfile class.
>
> B.
> UserStyles from applied SLD not supported in WMS Styles
>
> C.
> WMS request GetStyles creates only one userstyle with rules from the
> different styles described in the mapfile. Should it not create different
> userstyles for each style described in the mapfile?
>
> Regards,
> Arnd

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst