[mapserver-users] GetfeatureInfo-Request in an UTF-8 environment with shapfile in cp-1252

Siegel Andreas Andreas.Siegel at vorarlberg.at
Tue Feb 8 09:37:35 EST 2011

Hi.

Our mapserver-eniromnent entirely works in utf-8 (mapfiles, webserver, postgres, ..) with one exception, that is, all of our shapefiles.
The shapfiles are created/updated in an Windows-environment by several, external contributors.
Hence they are encoded in Wiindows-ANSI (cp: 1252).

If i do an GetFeatureInfo-Request on the attibutes of the shapefiles all special characters ("umlauts") are garbled.
This is no wonder since the content of the shapefile-attributes must be recoded to utf-8 prior to insertion in the template.html.

How can this be acomplished? I could not find anything useful in the documentation or with google.

Mag Andreas Siegel
Landesvermessungsamt Feldkirch
Johannitergasse 6, A-6800 Feldkirch
Tel: +43(0) 5522 / 75482 - 60227
Fax: +43(0) 5522 / 75482 - 6
E-Mail: andreas.siegel at vorarlberg.at <mailto:andreas.andreas.sandreas.siegel at vorarlberg.at>
http://www.vorarlberg.at/lva

Rechtsverbindlichen Schriftverkehr
(zB Anträge, Rechtsmittel) richten Sie an:
E-Mail: landesvermessungsamt at vorarlberg.at
Fax: +43(0)5522/75482-6