[mapserver-users] Pixely image

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Tue Feb 8 16:16:50 EST 2011

On Feb 8, 2011, at 4:09 PM, ext qazi iqbal wrote:

> In my mapserver setup, I am testing the layers, I get the layers starting pixelated and then keeps on refreshing till it clears out. Below is a similar example from the mapserver tutorial. It also behaves same.
> http://mapserver.org/tutorial/example1-6.html#example1-6

This is called 'interlacing', and it is a common technique to speed the
amount of time before something is displayed to the user (delivering a
lower quality copy first, then updating as more data is delivered).

>From the MapServer docs:

FORMATOPTION [option]
Provides a driver or format specific option. Zero or more FORMATOPTION statement may be present within a OUTPUTFORMAT declaration. (optional)

	• GD/JPEG: The “QUALITY=n” option may be used to set the quality of jpeg produced (value from 0-100).

	• GD/PNG: The “INTERLACE=[ON/OFF]” option may be used to turn interlacing on or off.

	• GD/GIF: The “INTERLACE=[ON/OFF]” option may be used to turn interlacing on or off.

-- http://mapserver.org/mapfile/outputformat.html