[mapserver-users] Label text always clipped by tiles

Gregor at HostGIS gregor at hostgis.com
Wed Jan 26 10:48:47 EST 2011

> I was using TileCache, but I switched it off to debug this problem. If
> TileCache generates larger tiles, will there still be clipped labels?
> Just fewer clipped labels? I don't think this is a workable solution
> for me, but if I have the time I'll try it.

Correct; there would be FEWER labels clipped (if you force them and
allow partials) or missing (if you disallow partials).

How many fewer, depends on how large you make your meta-tiles. If
they're 5x5, that's a significant reduction in the number of tile edges.
If you really turn up your MAXSIZE in your mapfile, you could
potentially make 10x10 meta-tiles; that's 1% as many tile edges.

You could also make your tiles larger. If you have 512x512 tiles, and
10x10 meta-tiles, that's a HUGE reduction in the number of tile edges
over single 256x256 tiles.

The only method I know that would eliminate ALL tile-edge artifacts,
would be to eliminate tiling, e.g. singleTile:true in OpenLayers. Not
that that's a great solution either, but it is sometimes the only way.

--
HostGIS, Open Source solutions for the global GIS community
Greg Allensworth - SysAdmin, Programmer, GIS Person, Security

"No one cares if you can back up — only if you can recover."