[mapserver-users] Label text always clipped by tiles

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 18:46:52 EST 2011

labelcache on is the default setting, and will apply for all layers
where you have not set FORCE TRUE on your labels. if you don't want
overlapping labels, this should be left as is.

when tiling, you should *always* set PARTIALS FALSE on all your labels.

- the metabuffer tilecache option should be set, to avoid artifacts on
lines due to the the line caps that can be set. it will not have an
effect on cut labels. when setting this option, mapserver *must* be
configured with its labelcache_map_edge_buffer set to the same value
as the tilecache metabuffer, so it will not put labels in the area
that will be cut off by the metabuffer.
- metatiling has an effect on the number of labels that can be
displayed, in the sense that it is easier to display labels in a large
image than it is in a 256x256 tile.

as for your requirement of having all labels appear, without
overlapping, and being continuous across tile boundaries, I'm afraid
this is physically impossible to obtain.

regards,
thomas