[mapserver-users] Mapserver Storage

Mark Korver mwkorver at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 10:50:11 EST 2011

There are ways to use S3 as the store for source images by using tools
like s3fs (FUSE-based file system backed by Amazon S3) and writing
front end code the intercepts the incoming WMS request, filters using
a grid, then routes to the appropriate EC2 MapServer instance.  This
allows particular instances to do region based caching of source data.
 First request that "hits" a new source file is slow, but second one
is read from EC2's "built-in" storage.  This kind of setup allows you
to run n-number of mapservers all looking at the same data stored on a
S3, but would require some work up front.  The smaller the grid, the
more mapservers. and if you want to scale more you can use LB and
autoscaling.