[mapserver-users] Re: make cannot find -libodbc and -libodbcinst on compilation

gregcorradini gregcorradini at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 01:51:06 EST 2011

I found a way to compile mapserver without errors. I don't know why the
workflow below was successful or if I'm just foolish (I'm not a C/C++ whiz
and I'm only doing this because mapserver wasn't working through package
installer). But the thing compiled and the mapserv executable is working in
the apache2 cgi-bin now. So here's what I did.

Since the problem was occuring with GDAL and PostGIS support I decided to
try and build with only the minimal required libraries to see what happened.
Here's that ./configure:

# MINIMAL
./configure --with-gd=/usr/local/ --with-freetype=/usr/  >
twinkie_config_log.txt

I ran 'make' and everything went off without errors. So i decided to add to
this configuration the 'recommended' libraries like proj4 and gdal etc. That
./configure:

# WITH RECOMMENDED LIBRARIES
./configure --with-gdal --with-ogr
--with-curl-config=/usr/local/bin/curl-config --with-proj=/usr/local
--with-gd=/usr/local/ --with-freetype=/usr/  > twinkie_config_log.txt

I ran 'make' and everything went off without errors. Finally, i added to
this configuration what I initially started with in ./configure -- the stuff
that produced the libodbc* and libxslt errors:

# EVERTHING I WANT CONFIGURED
./configure --with-ogr=/usr/local/bin/gdal-config
--with-gdal=/usr/local/bin/gdal-config --with-wcs --with-wfs
--with-wfsclient --with-wmsclient
--with-curl-config=/usr/local/bin/curl-config --with-proj=/usr/local
--with-tiff --with-gd=/usr/local/  --with-jpeg --with-freetype=/usr/
--with-threads --with-postgis=/usr/bin/pg_config
--with-geos=/usr/local/bin/geos-config --with-httpd=/usr/sbin/apache2 >
twinkie_config_log.txt

I ran 'make' and I'm a happy camper, but a confused one. Ideas?