[mapserver-users] how to create a base map and serve it with WMS

Mark Korver mwkorver at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 11:10:28 EDT 2011

How you approach this depends on a number of variables.

Because rasters tend to stress both your server resources and network
bandwidth to client, how far you go in optimizing your system is a
function of the expected amount of data access ( # of users X
frequency of access ), the expectations of users ( what is fast enough
) and of course how much data do you have to serve.

Generally, base raster layers are static and if you are using
openlayers and want it to work like Gmaps then you probably want to
think of serving and caching tiles.  MapServer can do all of that, but
there are other projects like MapProxy that may simplify a
multi-server load-balanced type setup.