[mapserver-users] It takes more than 2 minutes for my map server to generate a world map

jk jk.chen at sdl.usu.edu
Wed Jul 27 19:20:06 EDT 2011

Hi,

I have a tile system of 4659 tiles, each is a 5 meter resolution raster
image a particular spot in the world (as you know it is sparse, the
collection of tiles do not cover the enter world).

When I asking for a map of the world (ie, high-level view, a bbox with
values close to the lonlat boundary of the world), my map server
consistently takes long time to finish, (close to 2.5 minutes, yeah,
minutes, not seconds). This is very slow.

If I submit a bbox that matches a particular tile, the map is returned
instantly.

How could it take so long to generate the world map?

How to fix that?

Anything I'm missing? Any idea?

I'm not using tile cache yet. But I think 2.5 minutes for world view is way
too slow. Something must be wrong.

If you know of any clues, let me know.

Thanks for your help.

JK