[mapserver-users] Production mapserver

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon Mar 21 16:22:26 EDT 2011

Hi,

There can be much more important things to optimise before changing from CGI to FastCGI. I mean optimising the data. Take care of the indexes. Limit the numbers of features to be rendered, drawing more than a couple of thousands is usually unnecassary. Use simplified vector layers when you do not need all the zillions of vertices in the original top quality data, and so on.

You said you are going to use shapefiles and some imagery. CGI can take something like 50 milliseconds more time for opening those than FastCGI. It can be even 100 milliseconds, but as long as the limits of CGI are not met your users can hardly feel the difference. Naturally the situation changes when you reach the limits of throughput from CGI. In our environment CGI can do 10 requests per second with aerial imagery while FastCGI takes 20 per second. However, we have seen that with multicore processors CGI is extremely reliable and till the 10 images per second the user experiance is good. When feeding some 50 million tiles into cache we actually switched from FastCGI back to CGI because FastCGI failed every now and then (once per 50000 or 100000 GetMaps).

-Jukka Rahkonen-