[mapserver-users] MapServer CGI Controls doc web page

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Mar 29 09:40:07 EDT 2011

Steve L,

I'm not sure but my guess is that we would need to look at:

1. What support pcre or re has for extended character or UTF8 support
2. Make sure the the parser can collect those characters
3. maybe decide if we want to optionally support äåö
sequences in the mapfile/CGI and convert appropriately

So unless someone thought about this, given all the pieces above that
would need to work together, I would suspect that you will have
problems. But again - I do not know for sure.

For 1. above, Google says:

pcre specification
Aug 9, 2007 ... In order process UTF-8 strings, you must build PCRE to
include UTF-8 support in the code, and, in addition, you must call
pcre_compile() ...
regexkit.sourceforge.net/Documentation/pcre/pcre.html - Cached - Similar

So this indicates that it is possible to get pcre with utf8 support. So
this might be a starting place.

And from the Debian Lenny man page:

> The  current  implementation of PCRE (release 7.x) corresponds approxiâ
> mately with Perl 5.10, including support for UTF-8 encoded strings  and
> Unicode general category properties. However, UTF-8 and Unicode support
> has to be explicitly enabled; it is not the default. The Unicode tables
> correspond to Unicode release 5.0.0.

-Steve W