[mapserver-users] circular symbol for roads at border of tiles

Edward Mac Gillavry emacgillavry at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 18 03:27:34 EST 2011

Andreas,

Check out http://mapserver.org/output/tile_mode.html. It mentions the parameter "tile_map_edge_buffer". That addresses the issue you are experiencing. However, this is only available from MapServer 6, whereas you are  using mapserver 5.6.5.

You may want to defer this operation to a cache renderer ,e.g. TileCache or MapProxy. You can configure these in such a way that they will request an image slightly bigger than 256x256 and will cut out a map tile at 256x256. Furthermore, for labelling purposes these cache renderers typically request even larger images (e.g. 1300*1300), cut off a 10 pixel border to counter the effects your are experiencing and then slice the remaining image 1280x1280 into 25 map tiles 256x256.

This cache renderers prove these advantages:
- less requests to MapServer at rendering time (only 1 large one instead of 25 small ones)
- better labelling
- no map tile creation upon each request, but map tiles are simply delivered from cache.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Edward