[mapserver-users] IE/Windows mis-registered clicks

lfilak at medinaco.org lfilak at medinaco.org
Wed Nov 30 11:25:21 EST 2011

We have been having a persistent problem which seems to be occurring more
with the advent of MS-Windows 7. We were able to track the problem down in
MS-Windows XP some time ago and could provide users with an easy fix but
now the setting changes needed under Vista & 7 are more cumbersome. We
found that a user running XP, using IE, and who had changed their screen
DPI from "Normal Size" to "Large Size" could not click on the map image and
have IE return valid pixel coordinates. When the user picked on pixel
400,400 of the map image IE would return something like 200,200. I'm sure
it's the difference between the default 96DPI and their modified 120DPI.
Unfortunately the problem is not easily reproducible in XP and only seems
to effect XP installs that have undergone some sort of "update", but we
don't know what. With 7 I'm beginning to wonder if every user of our site
using 7 & IE is having issues. At least with XP the one case I was able to
study proved that it effected not just our site but google maps also, but
with 7 I can't verify anything. Is anyone else experiencing this issue and
have a fix?
Thanks in advance!

Lowell