[mapserver-users] recommended tile caching mechanism with `mode=tile`

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Sun Sep 18 10:21:20 EDT 2011

On 11-09-18 10:08 AM, Mr. Puneet Kishor wrote:

> 1. I was looking at mod_cache (mod_disk_cache and mod_mem_cache) yesterday and wondering if they could be used to cache the images. Is mod_geocache inspired/based on those modules?

I dunno. I will let Thomas answer this one.

> 2. Why wed this to Apache? By making it web-server agnostic, you open up the audience.

Because that is the fastest you can get (within 5-10% of the performance
of serving static files).

However, MapCache also "produces a CGI/fastCGI executable for using with
other webservers than apache"[1]. You just won't get the same performance.

[1] http://mapserver.org/trunk/mapcache/

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/