[mapserver-users] recommended tile caching mechanism with `mode=tile`

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 11:02:28 EDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 08:08, Mr. Puneet Kishor <punk.kish at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2011, at 11:43 PM, Daniel Morissette wrote:
>
>> On 11-09-18 12:08 AM, Mr. Puneet Kishor wrote:
>>> I am using MapServer cgi with `mode=tile` with a Google Maps front-end, and am wondering what is a recommended tile cache server.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions from personal experience?
>>>

>> MapServer MapCache of course! It is a fully featured, robust and fast tiling server. Only available in MapServer SVN trunk at the moment.
>>
>> http://mapserver.org/trunk/mapcache/
>>
>> It was formerly known as Mod-Geocache until a few weeks ago... the website is in the process of being migrated to the above URL, but in the meantime you can still reach the old site:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/mod-geocache/
>>

> Very nice. I look forward to installing this; hopefully, it will be straightforward.
>
> A couple of questions --
>
> 1. I was looking at mod_cache (mod_disk_cache and mod_mem_cache) yesterday and wondering if they could be used to cache the images. Is mod_geocache inspired/based on those modules?
As already stated by Mike, there's quite a bit of geo related
intermediary glue code that translates the incoming request into the
actual name of the tile as stored on the system, which makes the
module much more specific than the mod_*_cache existing modules.
There is a memcached storage backend for mapcache, but speed of access
to the tile data is not a use-case that it shines at: it is slower
than disk based caches, but allows the automatic expiring of tiles
based on their creation date.

> 2. Why wed this to Apache? By making it web-server agnostic, you open up the audience.
c.f. the fastcgi implementation. cgi is not a recommended setup.

--
thomas