[mapserver-users] Passing a mapfile via CGI

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Mon Apr 16 12:41:21 EDT 2012

Bob,

   What kinds of things are you trying to do with layers?  Are the
layers vectors?  Maybe there's a different way...

I'm in the midst of an implementation where the vectors are held in
PostGIS in three tables (point, line and polygon) and joined to a
"feature definition" table (to supply rendering values).  I use one map
file with three layers  (point, line, polygon) and pass a FILTER
variable to get my different layers which are then rendered.

Here's a snippet from the polygon layer:

         CLASS
             STYLE # Polygon Fill
                 SYMBOL       [polyfill_symbol]
                 COLOR        [polyfill_fillcolor]
                 ANGLE        [polyfill_angle]
                 SIZE         [polyfill_hatchgap]  # e.g Hatching gap
                 WIDTH         1 # [polyfill_hatchthick]  # Hatching
line thickness (column binding doesn't seem to work)
#                OPACITY      50 # [attribute]  # warning: there is no
OPACITY for LABEL so don't bother.
             END
             STYLE # Polygon Outline
                 SYMBOL       [geom_symbol]
                 OUTLINECOLOR [geom_outcolor]
                 SIZE         [geom_width]    # for "simple" (?) symbols
                 WIDTH        [geom_width]    # for complex symbols
             END # Style
             TEXT             ([gid])
             LABEL
                 TYPE         TRUETYPE
                 FONT         [label_font]
                 ANTIALIAS    TRUE
                 COLOR        [label_fillcolor]
                 OUTLINECOLOR [label_outcolor]
                 BUFFER       1
                 POSITION     cc        # [ul|uc|ur|cl|cc|cr|ll|lc|lr|auto]
                 PARTIALS     TRUE
                 SIZE         [label_height]
             END  # LABEL

         END # class

While this method is suitable for rendering, it will be a problem if you
want store variables for use in an identify operation (or maybe not; I
wonder if a template name can be bound to a database column...)

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser