[mapserver-users] Getting introduced to MapScript

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Aug 2 09:35:38 PDT 2012

On 8/2/2012 3:10 AM, Luís de Sousa wrote:
> Hi Stephen, thank you for the reply.
>
> Yes I've went through those pages already. There you learn a few things, but
> not how to set up a MapFile entirely.  How to set up the SHAPEPATH for a
> mapObj for instance, or the DATA and TYPE for a layerObj.
>
> I'm presently using Python, not that I like the language, but I've been
> learning quite a bit with the MapScript code in PyWPS.

The rules for setting SHAPEPATH, DATA, and TYPE are all defined in the
mapfile documentation. There are no separate rules because you are using
mapscript.

Typically if I were building a mapscript application, I would start with
a static mapfile and make sure that works. Then you can load that and
examine it using mapscript to see what various objects look like. From
there you can start looking into building objects dynamically.

I also think there is method that lets you save you mapfile to a file.
This would be helpful if you are building a mapfile dynamically so you
can see what you have built at any given moment that you save it.

Beyond that, it have been I while since I have written an mapscript
applications, so I'm not sure how much more help I can be.

Please consider making patches to improve the docs and posting pull
requests, or at least writing a ticket with you updated information.

Thanks,
   -Steve W