[mapserver-users] Reading a custom GDAL raster format via MapServer...

Shri I ipammee at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 9 07:48:43 PDT 2012

Hello All,

I have been trying to read a custom GDAL raster format via MapServer. (Unfortunately, I'm unable to share the file itself here, as it is a proprietary format).  MapServer is unable to read the raster and display it.   However, GDAL is able to read (gdalinfo, etc), translate (gdal_translate), transform (gdalwarp) the raster. Any ideas how to solve this?  MapServer is compiled with GDAL support and everything looks OK. The "gdalinfo --formats " command shows the format is supported.

Here are the errors in my log:

msDrawMap(): rendering using outputformat named png (AGG/PNG).
msDrawMap(): WMS/WFS set-up and query, 0.000s
msDrawRasterLayerLow(testLayer): entering.
msDrawRasterLayerLow(): Unable to access file. Corrupt, empty or missing file '/path/to/myfile.ext' for layer 'testLayer'.
Image handling error. Failed to draw layer named 'testLayer'.
msFreeMap(): freeing map at 0xf8b8f0.

And here's the MapServer error included in the image or shown on the command prompt (when ran using mapserv command):

msDrawMap(): Image handling error. Failed to draw layer named 'testLayer'.
msDrawRasterLayerLow(): Unable to access file. Corrupt, empty or missing file  '/path/to/myfile.ext' for layer 'testLayer'.
GDAL: GDALDeregister_GTiff() called.

Here's how my layer definition looks like:

LAYER
    NAME "testLayer"
    TYPE RASTER
    DATA "/path/to/myfile.ext"   # <<-- Tested with realtive path from shapepath and also direct path, as in this case.
    STATUS ON
END

Thank you for your helpful pointers.

Regards,