[mapserver-users] Specify resolution (or pixel size) in WMS requests

Thekla Wirkus thekla.wirkus at wheregroup.com
Mon Jul 16 03:13:54 PDT 2012

Hello,

last december 2011 Astrid wrote a mail about the behaviour of RESOLUTION
and DEFRESOLUTION. We tested again with MapServer
6.2 and here are the results. The size of the symbols, texts and lines
was not like we expected. They were often too small.

Have a look at the mail from 14. december 2011
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/mapserver-users/2011-December/071077.html

We tested with MAP.RESOLUTION=288&MAP.DEFRESOLUTION=72, SIZEUNINTS
Meters, the scaled layers with SYMBOLSCALEDENOM 10000.
http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv62b1?map=/data/umn/resolution/map/resolution_test.map&MAP.RESOLUTION=288&MAP.DEFRESOLUTION=72"&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&SERVICE=WMS&LAYERS=notscaledPoint,scaledPoint,notscaledLine,scaledLine,notscaledPolygon,scaledPolygon,Polygon_with_symbols,notscaledLabel,scaledLabel&STYLES=,,,,,,,,&SRS=EPSG:31466&BBOX=2517600,5672315,2518960,5673675&WIDTH=2000&HEIGHT=2000&FORMAT=image/png&BGCOLOR=0xffffff&TRANSPARENT=TRUE&EXCEPTIONS=application/vnd.ogc.se_xml

The behaviour of MapServer 6.0 and MapServer 6.2 is just the same. This
time we have a demo project where we tried the different cases. You can
download it at:

UMN:

https://svn.wheregroup.com/download/mapserver_resolution.zip

PDF:
https://svn.wheregroup.com/download/mapserver_resolution_pdf.zip

Results:

POINTS
     * scaled or not scaled Points/Symbols: displayed correct, scaled
and notscaled are the same in the map

LINES
     * scaled lines: displayed correct
     * unscaled lines: too small (1:2000, 1:5000, 1:1000), correct
(1:20000)

POLYGON
     * scaled Polygone/Outline: displayed correct
     * not scaled Polygone/Outline: too small (1:2000), correct (1:5000,
1:10000,1:20000)
     * scaled or not scaled Polygone with symbols: displayed correct

LABEL
     * scaled Label: too small
     * not scaled Label: too big (1:1000, 1:2000, 1:5000, too small
(1:20000)

> For us it would be good to get this problem solved, as at the moment we
> generate a copy of the mapfile for the print with symbol- and labelsize
> multiplyed with factor 4. It would be charming to solve the print with
> one
> mapfile. We could do testing and maybe I could look for sponsoring too.

Is there someone else interested to solve this? Is there a ticket already?

Thekla

---------------------------------

Thekla Wirkus
GIS-Consultant