[mapserver-users] File size of generated PNG

Jackey Cheung cheung.jackey at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 21:56:48 PDT 2012

Some background first. I'm currently using MapServer + TileCache, and
planning to try out the new MapCache stuff. While using MS+TC, there was a
headache bothers me. Although not specific to MS, I'm not sure where to
start, so posting here in hope of getting some pointers.

The problem is the file size of PNG images genereated by MS. They are
relatively much larger than we want. Now we have one lengthy process that
runs stuffs like pngcrush after seeded a cache with TC. This is a painfully
lengthy proccess, which takes months to finish due to the coverage of map.

Just wondering, how to make MS generates minimum size PNG, or how to make
TC to slice images with minimum file size? Or is using "post-process" the
only way to achieve it? We are not talking about the absolute minimum, just
want to have the smallest size in average.