[mapserver-users] WMS server error. Invalid layer(s) given in the LAYERS parameter.

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Oct 26 06:27:08 PDT 2012

On 12-10-25 5:49 PM, Mike Stoddart wrote:
> I'm using MapServer 6.0.1 on Fedora 16 and I'm having a weird layer
> issue. We're trying to port our application from MapServer 5 -> 6 and
> we're seeing the error:
>
> WMS server error. Invalid layer(s) given in the LAYERS parameter.

Once you have your WMS service created, then I would:

- in a Web browser, construct a GetCapabilities request
- save the results locally
- open that file in a text editor, and then make sure all "warning"
messages are removed from that response
- then, test your service with a GetMap request
   - construct a GetMap request by hand in your Web browser, or cheat and
   - use QuantumGIS and add a WMS server there, try adding a layer from
your WMS server, and check your server's Apache logs, and grab the URL
from the log; once you have that log URL, go back to your browser and
paste that request there, then analyze the error

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/