[mapserver-users] mapserver and php

Vince Miller vincentpmiller at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 28 13:59:51 PDT 2012

Evidently I need to rerun the mapserver build adding --with-GDAL and and --with-proj. There are .png files referenced in my .map file. The goal is to maintain all the data in PostgreSQL and PostGIS. Now that they have raster support I can hopefully dump the .pngs and I then won't need GDAL. Right? Hope there's nothing else missing.

I've not gone the route of ubuntuGIS, the latest (unstable) version of which includes Mapserver 6.0.3, because it was unclear to me how I would install from it only what I need, and other instructions seemed to presume some familiarity with PPA concepts and processes that I do not have. Nonetheless, I attempted to follow some instructions I found involving the "apt-get-repository" command, but this command was not found by my Ubuntu 12.04.

The results of your test:

vince at gameserver:/usr/local/src/mapserver-6.0.3$ shp2img -m /var/www/eunomi0/www/maps/eunomi0.map -o junk.png
loadSymbol(): Unknown identifier. Parsing error near (PATTERN):(line 16) <br>

vince at gameserver:/usr/local/src/mapserver-6.0.3$ gdb shp2img
GNU gdb (Ubuntu/Linaro 7.4-2012.04-0ubuntu2) 7.4-2012.04
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
<http://bugs.launchpad.net/gdb-linaro/>...
Reading symbols from /usr/local/src/mapserver-6.0.3/shp2img...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb) run -m /var/www/eunomi0/www/maps/eunomi0.map -o junk.png
Starting program: /usr/local/src/mapserver-6.0.3/shp2img -m /var/www/eunomi0/www/maps/eunomi0.map -o junk.png
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
msRasterLayerIsOpen(): Image handling error. Rasters queries only supported with GDAL support enabled. <br>
msRasterLayerIsOpen(): Image handling error. Rasters queries only supported with GDAL support enabled. <br>
msRasterLayerIsOpen(): Image handling error. Rasters queries only supported with GDAL support enabled. <br>
msRasterLayerIsOpen(): Image handling error. Rasters queries only supported with GDAL support enabled. <br>
msRasterLayerIsOpen(): Image handling error. Rasters queries only supported with GDAL support enabled. <br>
msRasterLayerIsOpen(): Image handling error. Rasters queries only supported with GDAL support enabled. <br>
msRasterLayerIsOpen(): Image handling error. Rasters queries only supported with GDAL support enabled. <br>
msRasterLayerIsOpen(): Image handling error. Rasters queries only supported with GDAL support enabled. <br>
msRasterLayerIsOpen(): Image handling error. Rasters queries only supported with GDAL support enabled. <br>
loadProjection(): Projection library error. Projection support is not available. <br>
[Inferior 1 (process 11562) exited with code 01]
(gdb) bt
No stack.
(gdb) quit