[mapserver-users] MapServer behaviour using SQL 2008 vs Shapefiles

Pete Rogers rogers.peter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 09:06:06 PDT 2012

Hello all,

I'm currently trying to carry out a selection of some polygon data using
MapServer. When I query a dataset held in a shapefile, everything is
working ok and the expected polygons are returned in the selection.
However, when I try to query data held in a SQL Server 2008 database, I get
some very strange results. The bounding box expands compared to the
selection polygon I have drawn, and multipart polygons are returned instead
of the correct features. The dataset is a county dataset for England and
Wales. Some example co-ordinates are below, having tried to select
Bedfordshire (BBOX 489373 , 212863 to 527085 , 270534)

SHP results in a BBOX (445860 , 178402 to 571833 , 318013) which covers the
county plus those that intersect my original polygon
SQL results in a BBOX 386080 , 212863 to 527085 , 270534) which is
massively extended from the original polygon, stretching from
Gloucestershire to the North East coast of England

Are there any differences in the map file or layer setup that could explain
this difference, and is there a solution? I have posted the issue to
stackexchange but at that time had not realised it was a difference between
shp and sql:

http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/37559/openlayers-spatial-filter-polygon-problem

Regards

Pete