[mapserver-users] mapserver and php

Worth Lutz wal3 at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 29 09:43:28 PDT 2012

You do not have to install every thing listed on ubuntuGIS. Only what you
need with "apt-get"

Here are the steps I use to get Mapserver on my machine. Note the
python_software-properties must be added to get the apt-add-repository
needed to get the ubuntugis repository.

#
#  ++  update repositories  ++
sudo apt-get update
#
#  ++  upgrade installed packages  ++
sudo apt-get upgrade
#
#
# +++++  add repositories  +++++
#
# ++  install python-software-properties       ++
# ++  to get the "apt-add-repository" command  ++
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
#
#  ++  add ubuntugis repository  ++
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable
#
#  ++  update repositories  ++
sudo apt-get update
#
#
# ++++  PostGIS  ++++
#
apt-cache search postgis  # this just finds the postgis related stuff
sudo apt-get install             \
         postgis                 \
         postgresql-9.1-postgis
#
# ++++  MapServer  ++++
#
sudo apt-get install mapserver-bin php5-mapscript cgi-mapserver

Give this a try if you have not figured it out already.

Worth