[mapserver-users] queryByShape returns too many results

Bistrais, Bob Bob.Bistrais at maine.gov
Wed Feb 20 12:38:51 PST 2013

I am working on a spatial query module (actually, modifying an existing GeoMoose module) which uses queryByShape to take a previously selected feature from one layer, and use it to select features from another layer.  Both layers are shapefiles, the query layer is of course polygon, the selection layer is points in this case.

When I do the query I am finding too many results are returned- there are many features outside the query polygon which are selected, well beyond the polygon boundary.   The selected features might possibly be within the BBOX of the polygon, but I only want what's within the polygon.

                $layer->queryByShape($q_shape);
                while($shape = $layer->nextShape()) {
                                # if we have a projection, convert the shape into latlong
                                if($q_shape->intersects($shape) == MS_TRUE or $shape->containsShape($q_shape) == MS_TRUE) {
                                                if($projection != NULL) {
                                                                $shape->project($projection, $LATLONG_PROJ);
                                                }
                                                $foundShapes[] = $shape;
                                }
                }