[mapserver-users] Ogrtileindex troubles with MS 6.2 on Linux

Rahkonen Jukka jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed Jul 17 10:12:45 PDT 2013

Even Rouault wrote:

> Le mercredi 17 juillet 2013 10:16:22, Rahkonen Jukka a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have had some troubles with using ogrtileindex on Linux (CentOS) with
>> Mapserver 6.2.1.  I faced two dictinct issues.
>>
>> 1) Uppercase/lowercase trouble with file names of the source vectors when
>> using the MS native connection. My shapefiles had names like
>> "MM26P3CP.SHP". I created an ogrtindex file from those and used the native
>> connection as TILEINDEX "ogrtindextest.shp,0"
>>
>> Result was an error and Mapserver told that it could not open file
>> MM26P3CP.SHP,0. A desperate trial revealed me that if I renamed all my
>> source shapefiles to lowercase characters the native connection started to
>> work.

> Reproduced and fixed : https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues/4712

Thanks.

>> 2) Http 503 server error when using OGR connection and SLD_BODY in the WMS
>> GetMap request. The original source files with uppercase characters in the
>> file names work in stardard WMS usage by using OGR connection instead of
>> the native one CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
>> TILEINDEX "ogrtindextest.shp,0"
>>
>> However, our application is sending WMS GetMaps with SLD_BODY parameter and
>> with OGR connection the result is always a server error.
>>
>> I have made a test on Windows with MS4W and Mapserver version 6.3-dev and I
>> can not reproduce those errors. I prepared a complete zip file from my
>> MS4W test set-up with mapfile, couple of original shapefiles,
>> corresponding ogrtindex file and GetMap request with SLD_BODY and it is
>> downloadable from here
>> http://latuviitta.org/downloads/mapserver_62_trouble_with_ogrtindex.zip
>>
>> As I said there are no troubles with MS4W but on our Linux server the
>> ogrtindex does not work with native connection and with OGR connection
>> using SLD_BODY in the GetMap request leads to server error.
>>
>> The problem is not acute for us anymore because I have renamed the original
>> shapefiles to lowercase and now we can use the native tindex connection
>> and SLD_BODY works. However, it took so many hours to to analyze the
>> problem that I think it is worth reporting my findings here.

> I didn't reproduce the problem. I couldn't use directly your ogrtindextest.shp
> as it contained full (Windows) path names, so I recreated a new one. I fail to
> see how SLD_BODY and uppercase/lowercase could interact...

They do not believe that they interact and I tried to tell that by saying that the issues are distinct. Ogrtileindex with OGR connection does not have any troubles at all with reaching the source shapefiles with uppercase or lowercase file names on our Linux installation. However, the same SLD_BODY that works OK with the native connection yields server error with OGR connection. Of course I have not been able to test SLD_BODY with uppercase shape file names because the OGR connection did not work for me. But if I have shapefiles with lowercase names I can get success or error with the SLD_BODY by toggling the connection type here

# CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
#remove the comment and SLD_BODY used in the sample request will lead to server error
#the default style without SLD_BODY works OK
TILEINDEX "ogrtindextest.shp,0"
#with native connection also GetMap with SLD_BODY works fine

If the issue cannot be reproduced then perhaps it has something to do with our own CentOS build.

-Jukka-