[mapserver-users] Issue with correctly using SIZEUNITS and SYMBOLSCALEDENOM

David Pardy dpardy87 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 12:17:28 PDT 2013

Hello. I've been trying to understand how to keep the SIZEUNITS at 200
while the circles appropriately adjust based on zoom level.

Thought I had this working properly but turns out I did not.

You can see here: http://i.imgur.com/UIz69UB.png that the circles start out
quite small at the default zoom level when you load the OpenLayers map. As
you zoom in, the circles aren't changing size. They should be as SIZEUNITS is
set to 200. Of course, since you are zooming in, it seems like the circles
are getting bigger on your screen, but they really are not.

When you get fairly zoomed in, what should happen is that the circles
should be quite large (as we want to keep the radius of 100miles...set
SIZEUNITS to 200 as this is the diameter). However, that is not the case as
you can see here: http://i.imgur.com/Yfr7gkV.png

Is it necessary to use SYMBOLSCALEDENOM with SIZEUNITS too achieve what I
want: keeping the 200mile diameter whilst the circles are changing size
based on zoom? If so/if not, how do I go about this? I've been toying with
MINSIZE and MAXSIZE but that hasn't yielded any positive results.

Link to mapfile layer here: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/6073439

Any feedback on the matter is appreciated.