[mapserver-users] MapServer performance question - slow on different machine

andy andy at squeakycode.net
Thu Jul 25 12:12:36 PDT 2013

On 7/25/2013 1:56 PM, andy wrote:
> On 7/24/2013 10:59 AM, Mark Volz wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> ·The machine is using a 6.8 out of the available 8GB of RAM
>>
>> oI think we need more RAM on the system, however I am curious as to why
>> the MapServer 5 application ran fast, while MapServer 6 is slow.  Could
>> IIS just behave better than Apache under low RAM situations?
>>
>> oThat being said both Apache and MapServer take a minimal amount of RAM

I'm coming from the linux world, but I have to assume windows would do
the same:  your os should be caching the snot out of your disk.
Hopefully that 6.8 gig of usage is for disk cache.  Any way to tell if
that's the case?  You want all of your ram used as disk cache.

Is there a way to see how much cpu vs disk is being used?  If your cpu
usage is high and disk io is low, then you have a huge cache and you
don't need more ram.

If your cpu is low and your disk io is high, then you have a tiny cache,
and you could use more ram.

-Andy