[mapserver-users] cascading wms and layer names encoding

Rahkonen Jukka jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Thu Jun 6 12:47:49 PDT 2013

Hi,

I believe that your human readable names with space characters are invalid in XML and WMS and thus there is no much need to think about how Mapserver encodes them. If you administrate the remote service use human readable Title for the layers and use underscores or any other acceptable characters in Names. If you do not administrate the server, send email.

Unfortunately I could not find good documents as confirmation. I can only say that I am remembering that WMS layer names are defined somewhere to be of XML type Qname and perhaps somewhere here reads that white spaces are not allowed in QNames
http://www.xml.com/lpt/a/795 or here http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#NT-NameChar

I may be wrong and spaces in layer names may be theoretically OK. However, I would say that if you use them both you and your users will have trouble.

-Jukka Rahkonen-