[mapserver-users] Spatialite and spatial index?

Rahkonen Jukka jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Tue Jun 25 02:14:25 PDT 2013

Sven Geggus wrote:

> Rahkonen Jukka <jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi> wrote:
>
> > I encourage you to have a try with GDAL 1.10 because I believe that
> > for your use case Spatialite will be considerable faster than PostGIS.
>
> Thanks! It seems to work fine using gdal 1.10 now and seems to be slightly
> faster that using postgis.

Good.  For me Spatialialite is about 30% faster for OSM rendering but that must depend a lot on the hardware, data and the queries. It may also be good to use
PROCESSING "CLOSE_CONNECTION=DEFER"
For me it gives measurable increase in speed when Mapserver is reading many tables from the same Spatialite db for rendering and it should not make any harm when reading from just one table. Use DEBUG 5 and you will soon know how it behaves in your own environment.

> > If you can tolerate Windows the builds from
> > http://gisinternals.com/sdk/ should work well.
>
> I'm not using windows, but I managed to package custom Debian packages of
> gdal 1.10 :)
>
> Sven

-Jukka-