[mapserver-users] Synology Disk Station

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Mar 3 20:44:20 PST 2013

On 03/03/2013 07:53 PM, Ian Tidy wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am look into running MapServer and PHP MapScript on a Synology Disk Station as part of our Disaster Resilience (giving us a low cost Intranet solution).  Does anyone have a solution like this working?
>
> As yet I haven't purchased the hardware to try this, I want to see if it is possible first.
>
> Regards,
> [cid:image001.png at 01CE18F8.BA436CA0]<http://www.napier.govt.nz/>
>
> Ian Tidy

Should be possible, though might be easier if you can find a home NAS
that supports debian (I've seen some over the years). Since it's busybox
based, why not spin up a virtual machine and try to get mapserver
compiled and running.

I personally have built a server with a Zotac atom based machine. The
drives can be inside or out depending on model and it's not any
different than any other x86_64 platform, so no strange drivers. A
little more to setup initially out of the box, but long term more flexible.

Enjoy,
Alex