[mapserver-users] WFS Server Layer styles not displaying

Rahkonen Jukka jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Tue Mar 26 22:24:34 PDT 2013

Hi,

If I understood right you are using Mapserver as a WFS server and and you await that your WFS client, for example QGis, shows the layer with similar styles than it shows the same Mapserver layer through WMS.

WMS and WFS are very different things. WFS sends pure data in XML format and there are attributes and coordinates but no colors nor line widths. Something like this
http://188.64.1.61/cgi-bin/tinyows?service=WFS&version=1.1.0&request=GetFeature&typeName=lv:mml_paikannimet20&maxFeatures=20

For the client WFS is a vector layer and you must define the styles on the client side. However, automatic styling of WFS layers might be possible by utilising the OGR feature style system
http://fi.search.yahoo.com/search?p=ogr+feature+style+support&ei=UTF-8&fr=moz35
Currently Mapserver can convert OGR styles from the source data into Mapserver classes.
http://www.mapserver.org/input/vector/ogr.html#styleitem-auto-rendering-layers-using-style-information-from-the-ogr-file

If Mapserver could do it in an opposite way and populate an additional OGR_STYLES field of WFS Feature Type from layer styles and if the WFS client could utilize OGR_STYLES automatically for rendering it might work. Perhaps an idea for the Google Summer of Code?

-Jukka Rahkonen-